Crab Fried Rice ข้าวผัดปู (kao pad bpu)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup cooked jasmine rice, packed (9.5 oz by weight)
- 3 oz/85 grams/ ¾ cup cooked crabmeat or other protein of your choice
- 2 tsp Thai soy sauce*
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Cilantro, chopped, optional
- Lime, for serving
Condiment: Prik Nam Pla & Chili Flakes
* If you can find Thai soy sauce, this recipe will reach its full potential because soy sauces from different cultures have different flavours. But if not, substitute any regular soy sauce.
Heat the oil in a wok or large non-stick sauté pan over medium high heat. When the garlic just starts to turn color, add the egg. Break the yolk and let set a bit before gently scrambling the egg.
Add the rice and push down on the rice to break apart lumps. Add the crabmeat and then toss quickly to mix.
Add fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and white pepper and continue stirring until the seasoning is well distributed and the rice is heated through.
Add green onions and toss just to mix. Remove from heat and plate. Serve with a slice of lime, chili flakes and Prik Nam Pla.
Note: If you are using raw protein like pork, beef, chicken or shrimp, add it to the pan right after the garlic starts to brown and before the egg. Cook until it’s about 60% done, and then proceed as per the recipe!
Crab Fried Rice ข้าวผัดปู