Rice Noodle Salad ยำขนมจีน
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 150g rice vermicelli (dry weight)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp tamarind juice
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped palm sugar
- Chili flakes, to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp Thai chili paste (optional)
- 2 Tbsp dried shrimp, chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemongrass, thinly sliced
- ½ cup long beans, cut into 1 cm pieces
- ½ cup julienned carrots
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped sawtooth coriander or mint leaves
- For serving: crispy pork rind or other meats of your choice
In a small pot, add about ¼-inch of vegetable oil. Add garlic and fry over low heat until garlic is golden. Drain garlic from oil, reserving the oil.
Boil rice vermicelli until fully cooked and no longer chewy; the time will depend on the size of your noodles, mine are small size and took about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until no longer warm. Let sit on a clean tea towel or folded paper towel to absorb excess water.
In a mixing bowl, combine lime juice, tamarind juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar, chili flakes, 2 tsp of the garlic oil, and Thai chili paste, if using; stir until sugar is mostly dissolved.
Add noodles, long beans, carrots, dried shrimp, cilantro, green onion and sawtooth coriander or mint; toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. To serve, sprinkle with fried garlic and serve with crispy pork rind. You can also top the salad with some sliced steak, chicken or shrimp to turn it into a full meal.
Rice noodle salad ยำขนมจีน