- 2 Tbsp uncooked jasmine rice or sticky rice (for toasted rice powder)
- 1 kaffir lime leave (optional, for toasted rice powder)
- 2 pc pressed tofu (170g)
- 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels (see note)
- 1½ Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp Golden Mountain Sauce
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- Roasted chili flakes, to taste, or use any chili flakes you have
- 3 Tbsp thinly sliced shallots
- 2-inch piece lemongrass, very thinly sliced (optional)
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- ¼ cup mint leaves, torn into small pieces if large
- 6-7 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- Lettuce or cabbage leaves for serving, optional
- Jasmine rice or sticky rice for serving, optional
Note: In the video I used waxy corn which is less sweet and chewier and denser than regular sweet corn. If you're also using waxy corn they take a lot longer to cook, about 45 minutes.
- To make toasted rice powder: In a dry saute pan, add the rice and the kaffir lime leaf, if using, and stir constantly over high heat until the rice has a deep brown colour (see video for colour). Remove from heat immediately and transfer into a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder. Grind until fine (yes, grind the lime leaf too), but if using a coffee grinder, be careful not to over-grind—you don't want it to look like flour, you still want a bit of grittiness to it.
- Crumble the tofu into small pieces with your hands.
- In a medium pot, add about 2 Tbsp of water then turn the heat on high. Add tofu and corn and stir until hot.
- Turn off the heat then add shallots, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and chilies; stir to mix well.
- Add soy sauce, Golden Mountain Sauce and lime juice.
- When ready to serve stir in toasted rice powder, mint and cilantro. (Don't add these too far in advance as the rice will absorb the liquid and make it dry, and the herbs will wilt.)
- Serve with lettuce leaves and eat like a bite-sized lettuce wrap, or serve with jasmine or sticky rice as part of a meal.