- 7-15 large, mild dried chilies (I used Thai spur chilies, but you can sub about 3 guajillo peppers)
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp white peppercorns
- 3 Tbsp chopped lemongrass
- 1 Tbsp chopped galangal
- 1 tsp chopped cilantro root
- 1 tsp chopped kaffir lime zest
- heaping 1/4 cup shallots
- 3 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp fermented shrimp paste (gapi)
- Remove seeds from chilies, cut into chunks and soak in water until softened. Drain and dry off excess water with paper towel. Add to mortar and pestle along with salt and white peppercorns and pound into a fine paste.
- Add lemongrass, galangal, cilantro roots, and kaffir lime zest; pound into a fine paste.
- Add shallots and garlic, pound into a fine paste.
- Add shrimp paste and pound to mix.
NOTE: If you have a coffee or spice grinder: Remove seeds from chilies and grind into a powder using the coffee grinder. Pound the rest of the herbs in the mortar and pestle as per instructions above, and add the ground dried chilies along with the shallots and garlic.