- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-3 Thai chilies, chopped
- 300g peeled and deveined shrimp, medium sized
- 1 cup asparagus, bite-sized pieces
- Half a small onion, thinly julienned
- 1/2 cup any mild red pepper such as bell pepper or spur chilies, julienned
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp sugar*
- Water as needed
* Some chili pastes are quite sweet and you may not need to add any sugar at all, so if it's your first time, taste the sauce first before adding sugar!
- 2 Tbsp Thai chili paste
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp water or chicken stock
Combine all sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and stir to loosen the chili paste.
Heat oil in a wok over medium high heat, add garlic and chilies and stir until garlic starts to turn golden. Add shrimp and toss quickly just to mix with the garlic. Add the sauce, sugar, asparagus, onion, and stir until the shrimp are almost done, then add the peppers and continue to toss until the shrimps are fully cooked. If the sauce dries up, add a splash of water as needed. Turn off the heat and stir in Thai basil, using the residual heat to wilt the basil.
Garnish with a little basil sprig if you like, and serve immediately with jasmine rice.