- 3 Tbsp Thai sticky rice or jasmine rice, uncooked
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, torn into chunks, stem removed
- 1 lb ground pork (preferably not lean)
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp minced galangal
- 3 Tbsp minced lemongrass
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (with stems)
- ¼ cup chopped sawtooth coriander (or use more cilantro)
- ¼ cup small diced shallots
- ½ tsp Chili flakes, to taste
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- Canola oil for frying
- Mint and butter lettuce for serving
In a dry pan, toast sticky rice and kaffir lime leaves over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until the rice is a deep golden brown and the lime leaves are crisp. Let cool slightly and grind both the rice and the lime leaves in a mortar and pestle until fine.
Combine pork, flour, toasted rice powder, shallots, lemongrass, galangal, cilantro, sawtooth coriander, lime juice, fish sauce and chili flakes; mix well. If you want to taste the mix for seasoning, you can cook up a small amount in the microwave or on a frying pan.
Form loosely into 1.5-inch balls and fry in 350°F oil until browned.
Serve on its own or make a wrap with a piece of lettuce and mint. Enjoy!