Rich, dark, creamy, and perfectly sweet, Thai coffee is a beloved drink of Thai people everywhere. Make it at home so you can customize the sweetness and richness to your liking!
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Thai coffee powder
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) of off-the-boil water
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp sugar, or to taste
- Pinch of salt
- A lot of ice
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 ml) evaporated milk, or to taste
- Combine the coffee with hot water and let it steep for 5 minutes. You can do this inside a cloth filter bag set in your mixing jug, in a French press, or directly in the mixing jug if you will filter it through a dripper later.
- In a mixing glass, combine condensed milk, sugar, and salt.
- When the coffee is ready strain/filter it and pour the coffee into the mixing glass.
- Stir to dissolve the condensed milk and sugar. Taste the coffee and adjust the sweetness as needed, but keep in mind it should taste a little too dark and a little too sweet at this point as the ice will dilute the coffee later. You can hold the coffee at this stage until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, fill a 16 oz serving glass completely with ice, then pour the coffee over the ice.
- Drizzle the evaporated milk on top and watch the beautiful cascade! Mix the evaporated milk in before drinking. Feel free to add more evaporated milk to adjust the creaminess to your liking.
PS. If you find that the coffee needs more sweetness after it has been poured over ice, dissolve some sugar or condensed milk in a small amount of warm water before adding it to your coffee.