Thanks to Squarespace for sponsoring this video! Go to Squarespace.com for a free trial and when you’re ready to launch, go to http://squarespace.com/pailinskitchen and add code “PAILINSKITCHEN” at checkout to save 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
- 600 g cooked egg noodles (if not using cooked egg noodles, see note)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced or pounded in a mortar and pestle into a rough paste
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp Golden Mountain Sauce, or sub Maggi Seasoning or soy sauce (see note)
- 1 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 35 g finely grated parmesan cheese (about ½ cup)
- Freshly ground black or white pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, optional but highly recommended!
- 1 green onion, chopped
- If using fresh but raw noodles, you will need about 350g to end up with about 600g of cooked noodles. If using dry noodles, you will need about 275g. This will vary between noodles so you should weigh the cooked noodles and adjust the amount of sauce as needed.
- Golden Mountain Sauce is a type of soy sauce used often in Thailand. See this video for further explanation of different Thai cooking sauces.
- If using pre-cooked egg noodles that have been tossed in oil like the ones shown in the video, gently pull the noodles apart, then give them a quick rinse under cold water to wash off some of the oil they’re coated in. Drain and rest them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess water. Tip: If the noodles are cold and are hard to pull apart, heat them in the microwave on 50% power, a minute at a time, just until they are warm enough to be separated. If using uncooked noodles, cook them off according to package instructions, then drain, rinse in cold water and set aside. Weigh the noodles to check the amount you have and adjust the amount of sauce up or down accordingly.
- Pound the garlic in a mortar and pestle into a rough paste or mince them.
- Combine oyster sauce, fish sauce, and Golden Mountain sauce in a small bowl.
- Add oil and butter to a wok and melt the butter over low heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 3-4 mins or until very fragrant, keeping the heat low so as to not brown the garlic.
- Add the noodles and the sauce, then turn the heat up to high and toss until the noodles are hot and all the sauce has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat, then stir in parmesan cheese. If you want you can stir in a squeeze of lemon at this stage, or serve the lemon as wedges on the side.
- Plate, and garnish with black or white pepper and green onions if desired.
- Serve with a lemon wedge and enjoy!