- 12 pc whole chicken wings with wing tips attached (see note)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp black/dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 medium sized dried shiitake mushrooms (10g), soaked in hot water until soft
- 20 g glass noodles (half a small Pine Brand package)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 cilantro stems, chopped
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp white peppercorns
- 150g ground pork, not lean
- ⅓ cup grated carrot
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 ½ tsp fish sauce
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- Sweet chili dipping sauce, store bought or use this easy homemade recipe
Note: I'm starting with whole wings because I want the wing tips, but I will not be using the drumettes. Save the drumettes for another recipe such as this turmeric chicken soup or chicken potato soup.
- Before you start make sure you soak the mushrooms first cuz that can take quite a while (30 mins - 2 hrs) especially if they are thick.
- If baking right away preheat the oven to 450°F (220 °C).
- Soak glass noodles in room temp water for 10 minutes. Drain, keeping the noodles in straight rows as much as possible (this will make cutting them easy).
- While noodles are soaking, prep the chicken by first removing the drumettes, and then deboning the flats, keeping the tips attached. See the video for technique.
- Marinate the deboned wings in soy sauce, 1 tsp black/dark soy sauce and sugar. If the colour doesn't look dark enough you can add a bit more of the black/dark soy sauce. Let it sit while you make the filling. You can also do this part 1 day in advance.
To make the filling:
- Cut soaked noodles with scissors into ¾-inch pieces.
- Remove mushrooms from soaking water (you can save the water for cooking if you want), squeeze out excess water, remove stems, and finely dice.
- Grind peppercorns in a mortar and pestle until fine, add garlic and cilantro stems and pound into a paste.
- In a mixing bowl combine the garlic paste, ground pork, glass noodles, grated carrot, green onions, shiitake mushrooms, oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Knead together with your hands until well mixed.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or oiled aluminum foil.
- Stuff the wings, make sure to push the filling in tightly so there are no air pockets. Keep the filling flush with the edge of the wings, and no more, because the wings will shrink when cooked.
- Place wings on the baking sheet and bake bake for 20-25 mins or until nicely browned.
- You can slice them or leave them whole for serving. Serve with sweet chili dipping sauce.