Coconut Ice Cream ไอติมกะทิ (itim gati)
Makes almost 1 quart
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup coconut water (from a young coconut or pre-packaged)
- 100 g. chopped palm sugar
- Scant 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp vodka (optional, see note)
- 1/4 cup chopped young coconut meat
- 1/4 cup chopped jackfruit, canned
The vodka helps prevents the ice cream from freezing too hard. It is optional and you’re welcome to use other techniques for creating scoopable ice cream. You can also just let the ice cream sit on the counter or in the fridge to soften before serving.
Combine coconut milk, palm sugar, white sugar, and salt in a pot and cook over medium heat until all the sugar is dissolved. Stir in coconut water and vodka, if using. Let chill in the fridge completely and churn according to your ice cream machine’s instructions. Add the young coconut meat and jackfruit, or any other add-ins, during the last 1-2 minutes of churning.
Coconut ice cream