It’s one of my life’s purpose to spread the word that COOKED cucumber is delicious. They’re just like any other veg, so let's stop confining them to the land of salads and pickles! 😂
This spicy chicken and cucumber stir fry recipe was part of my “Ingredient Challenge” video, where I took an ingredient (cucumber in this case) and cooked with it on the fly … and it turned out amazing! Spicy, crunchy, healthy, and the whole thing was done in 20 mins from start to finish.
Cucumber is an underappreciated vegetable, so my challenge was to actually COOK the cucumber and make it quick and delicious 🙂 Perfect for dinner, pack it for lunch or anytime you want!
Watch The Full Video Tutorial!
All my recipes come with step-by-step video tutorials with extra tips not mentioned in the blog post, so make sure you watch the video below to ensure success - and if you enjoy the show, please consider subscribing to my YouTube channel. Thank you!
Please note that this is a recipe from my "Ingredient Challenge" where I cook on the fly with no recipe, so the amounts below are my best estimates of how much of each ingredient I added. Make sure you watch the video so you have a visual estimate, and taste and adjust as you cook!
- 1 English cucumber
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 pc chicken thigh, boneless, skinless
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha hot sauce (I used the rooster brand for this)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper
(What I would also add if I had no limitations: Toss in some roasted cashews at the end.)
- Cut chicken into bite-sized cubes and toss in 2 teaspoon soy sauce.
- Cut cucumber in half horizontally, then slice each half into ⅓-inch thick pieces on a bias.
- Cut bell pepper into 1-inch cubes.
- Mix together sriracha, brown sugar, remaining soy sauce and sesame oil. Taste and adjust the balance of the sauce.
- In a wok, add a little bit of oil and heat until hot. Add chicken and sear until browned on both sides. Remove form wok. The chicken may not be fully cooked at this point, that is okay.
- Remove the chicken from the wok.
- In the same wok, add more oil and saute garlic in it until golden.
- Add cucumber, about ¼ cup water, and about 2 tablespoon of the sauce. Cook until the cucumber is almost done to your liking, adding more water if it becomes too dry.
- Add chicken, bell peppers and the remaining sauce and keep tossing for another minute or so until the chicken is fully cooked. (If you like the bell peppers soft, add them earlier so they have more time to cook.)
- Serve with jasmine rice. Enjoy!