Fresh Tuna Spring Rolls ก๋วยเตี๋ยวลุยสวน (guay tiew lui suan)
These tuna spring rolls are fresh, healthy, and fun to make. That dipping sauce is just to die for! If you’re getting tired of tuna sandwich, try fresh tuna spring rolls Thai style!
- 1 can tuna, drained (120g drained weight)
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp olive oil or vegetable oil (omit if your tuna is packed in oil)
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- Black pepper, to taste
- Dash soy sauce, to taste
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts, broccoli sprouts, or another kind of sprout of your choice
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 tomato, seeds removed, julienned
- 1-2 mini cucumbers, quartered lengthwise, or sub regular cucumber cut into sticks
- 8-10 Thai basil or mint leaves
- 4-5 sheets rice paper (8.5-inch)
- 1- 1 1/2 cup cilantro (stems and leaves) or mint leaves
- 1-2 Thai chilies, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1.5 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
Blanch carrot & cucumber: Bring a pot of water to a boil and season with salt (1 tsp of salt for 1 L of water). Blanch julienned carrot for 45 seconds to 1 minute until tender but still firm. Remove with a slotted spoon and shock in a bowl of very cold water. Once cool, remove from water and place on paper towel to absorb excess water. Repeat with the cucumber.
For the tuna: Combine tuna, onion, oyster sauce, oil, and black pepper; mix well. Taste and add more soy sauce if needed. (Variation: You can add a dash of toasted sesame oil.)
To wrap: Prepare very warm water in a large bowl (as warm as your hands can handle), and dip the rice paper into the water for several seconds just until the sheet is softened and becomes very pliable. Place the paper on a clean surface. Place sprouts, carrot, cucumber, tomato and tuna mixture in the middle of the paper, keeping the mixture about 4 inches wide. Place 2 Thai basil or mint leaves, upside down, close to the far edge of the paper. Roll according to video instructions.
To make the dipping sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Check consistency, and if it is too thin, add more cilantro and blend.
To Serve: Trim off the ends of the rolls and cut into 3 even pieces. Serve with dipping sauce.
Fresh Spring Rolls