This classic recipe is one of my childhood favourites, and I continue to love it just as much today. This easy stir-fry of chicken, mushrooms and tons of ginger, with its unique sauce, has a flavour unlike any other stir-fries in the repertoire of Thai cuisine. Your kids will love it, and YOU will love it too! In this video I give ways to make it spicier for grown ups, and also ways to modify it for kids 🙂
Watch The Full Video Tutorial!
All my recipes come with step-by-step video tutorials with extra tips not mentioned in the blog post, so make sure you watch the video below to ensure success - and if you enjoy the show, please consider subscribing to my YouTube channel. Thank you!
- 350g chicken thigh or breast, boneless, skinless
- 4 tsp soy sauce, divided
- 15g dried cloud ear mushroom (aka black fungus)
- 2 Tbsp chicken stock or water
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp tao jiew
- A dash black soy sauce or dark soy sauce (optional, for colour)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- Thai chilies (optional)
- 3-inch section ginger, peeled and finely julienned
- ½ medium onion, cut into strips
- ½ small red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Soak dried mushroom in hot water for at least 15 mins or until the mushrooms are fully hydrated.
- Toss chicken with 2 tsp of soy sauce and set aside.
- Combine all sauce ingredients: chicken stock or water, oyster sauce, tao jiew, the remaining 2 tsp soy sauce, black soy sauce, sugar, toasted sesame oil, and white pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a wok or a large saute pan, saute chopped garlic and Thai chilies (if using) in a little cooking oil over medium heat just until the smallest bits of garlic starts to turn golden. Tip: If you want to tone down the spiciness of ginger, add ginger at this stage and saute it for a minute or two until wilted.
- Turn the heat up to high, add the chicken and toss it with the herbs until the chicken is about 30% cooked.
- Add the sauce, the ginger, mushrooms, onion, and red bell pepper. Toss everything together until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Turn off the heat, add green onions and toss for a few seconds just to combine.
- Serve immediately with rice. Enjoy!
- If making a bigger batch of this recipe, do not increase water measurements
Keywords: Ginger, chicken, stir-fry