Spicy Steak Salad ยำเนื้อย่าง (yum neua yang)
8-oz piece of grilled steak (see recipe)
- ½ cup julienned onion, you can use white, yellow or red onion
- 3/4 cup tomatoes, you can use halved cherry tomatoes or cut up big ones
- 1 cup Chinese celery or the inside stalks & leaves of a regular celery, cut into 2″ pieces
- ¼ cup roughly chopped, roasted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onion
Yum Dressing (Nam Yum)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1.5 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp sugar or palm sugar*
- Thai chilies, finely chopped, to taste
* if you’re using palm sugar, you can grate the palm sugar with a fine grater or a Microplane zester so that it dissolves more easily in the dressing. The grated palm sugar will be very fluffy so pack it down a bit when measuring.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the Yum dressing ingredients. Add onion, tomatoes, Chinese celery, green onions and cilantro to the bowl and mix with dressing.
Slice up the steak against the grain, about 1/8″ thick. Add to the bowl, and toss.
Top with the roasted peanuts.
Spicy Beef Salad (Yum Neua)