Yellow Curry Paste พริกแกงกะหรี่
- 7 dried chilies, large, seeded
- 1.5 tsp coriander seeds, toasted
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 1/4 tsp white peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 inches lemongrass, bottom half only, finely chopped
- 3 slices, 1/8-inch thick, galangal, finely chopped
- 1-inch knob turmeric
- 3 slices, 1/8-inch thick, ginger
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 small heads shallots (¼ cup chopped)
- 1 tsp shrimp paste, omit if vegetarian
Cut dried chilies into chunks using scissors and remove most of the seeds. Add chilies to a coffee or spice grinder and grind into a powder.
In a stone mortar and pestle, add cumin seeds, coriander seeds and white peppercorns; grind into a powder. Remove and set aside in a bowl; add curry powder to this bowl.
Add lemongrass, galangal, ginger, turmeric and salt to the mortar and pound into a paste. When the mixture feels too wet, add the dry spices to help absorb the liquid and continue to pound into a fine paste. Add ground chilies, shallots, and garlic; pound into a fine paste. Add shrimp paste and pound to mix.
Click Here for Yellow Curry Recipe
How to Make Yellow Curry Paste