I've never met anyone who doesn't love tom ka gai. And it's so easy to make at home!
Watch The Full Video Tutorial!
All my recipes come with step-by-step video tutorials with extra tips not mentioned in the blog post, so make sure you watch the video below to ensure success - and if you enjoy the show, please consider subscribing to my YouTube channel. Thank you!
- 2 cups homemade, unsalted, chicken stock (For how to make chicken stock, see my Pork Stock video and sub chicken bones)
- 1.5 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb chicken thigh, bite-sized pieces
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bottom half only, smashed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 10 - 15 rounds galangal
- 4-5 Kaffir lime leaves, roughly torn into big chunks
- 3-4 Chilies, bruised or cut into large pieces
- 1.5 - 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp Palm sugar
- 150g Oyster mushrooms
- 2-2.5 Tbsp lime juice
Bring chicken stock to a boil, then add salt and chicken. Let simmer gently for 20 minutes or until chicken is fork tender.
Add coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, chilies, half the fish sauce, and palm sugar. Simmer for 3-5 minutes to infuse.
Add mushrooms, bring back to a simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cooked through.
Taste and add more fish sauce as needed. Turn off the heat and add lime juice.
*The herbs are meant for infusion only and not meant to be eaten. Please inform your guests or remove them before serving.